Primary function of the position:
SMART Myanmar is a project funded by the European Union and operating since 2013.
The second phase of the project, from 2016-2019, includes working with over 200+
factories in the Myanmar garment industry to improve working conditions and
environmental sustainability. In addition, the project trains and engages over two dozen
local banks on financial products & services and works to grow a responsible and
sustainable garment manufacturing industry in the country.
The Project Manager is responsible for working closely with the Team Leader to manage
the implementation of project activities, especially for communications & visibility with
brands and other stakeholders, efficient workflow of technical training programs and
general office management and administration.
The Project Manager shall also assist the Team Leader in the piloting and design of new
actions and the management of a project team of over 15 staff.
• Support the SMART Myanmar Team Leader in project implementation and management.
• Communicate with the project’s implementing partners and associates, especially sequa
gGmbH, MGMA, ADFIAP, AVE and Made-by
• Ensure that project’s staff effectively coordinate and conduct all workshops, consultancy
missions and events.
• Establish contacts and relationships with garment sector stakeholders working on issues
of sustainability and responsible manufacturing.
• Work with sequa gGmbH and Made-by on a consumer awareness campaign, targeted
jointly at consumers in Europe and Myanmar.
• Monitor and evaluate the impact of project activities related to green finance and public
procurement, both quantitative and qualitative.
• Interview stakeholders on project results, producing articles using quotes and photos for
the project’s website and newsletter.
• Design and deliver the project’s quarterly newsletter.
• Manage SMART’s activities related to women’s empowerment, including assisting in the
development of new community centers, smartphone apps and educational programs
for women garment workers.
• Responsible for managing general office administration, including managing the work of
the project’s administrative & finance officer, cleaner and driver.
• Innovate. Suggest and implement new approaches to help the project achieve maximum
impact in accordance with the project’s contract with the EU. Work closely with the Team
Leader and SMART’s Technical Experts to adapt and improve trainings and to introduce
new topics and approaches, especially related with energy and waste reductions, OHS
and workforce/management cooperation.
• Attend relevant workshops and participate in industry dialogue with brands and other
• Any other related duties as required and instructed by the Team Leader.