Under the supervision of the Landscape Programme Manager, the Enterprise and Livelihood Development Officer shall contribute to the WWF conservation strategy by coordinating the planning and implementation of forest-based livelihood initiatives in the DTL. This includes: socio-economic and livelihood assessments, development of a livelihood development strategy for DTL, and providing direct technical support in developing livelihood/enterprise projects for local communities and linking them to markets or business service providers. He/she is responsible for all aspects of this work including the planning, management, financial, and administrative aspects as well as engagement with private sector counterparts in Union Forest Department (FD) and the Karen Forest Department (KFD) of KNU. He/she is required to spend at least 10 days in communities each month or longer as needed.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Managing and Leading Enterprise and Livelihood Development Programme
- Leads the development, review and update of Enterprise and Livelihood Development strategy in DTL that is aligned WWF’s conservation goals
- Ensures the sustainability, effectiveness and efficiency of enterprise and livelihood development strategy implementation including its contribution to the achievement of WWF’s conservation goals.
- Provide guidance and direction to the WWF partners (communities, NGOs, government and KNU) on livelihood and enterprise program implementation
- Facilitate consortium/network meetings in strategizing policy influences related to enterprise and livelihood development strategy
- Advise WWF partners on broad strategic enterprise intervention strategies
Capacity building and backstopping of community enterprise and livelihood groups
- Facilitates enterprise and livelihood capacity building and technical support to Community Based Enterprise (CBE) groups from enterprise identification, development, implementation and monitoring.
- Provides backstopping for CBEs’ organizational strengthening particularly around its governance, internal controls and monitoring systems and functions
- Conducts basic enterprise assessments and related enterprise identification activities
- Identify and link CBEs to relevant contacts / resource groups for value chain development, including resource groups in production, marketing, technology and finance inputs as well as appropriate markets and marketing partners;
- Other enterprise development and general project-related tasks as requested by supervisor and as needed in target areas and project partners.
- Engage in developing product promotional materials
- Initiate product development and ensure good market links of relevant products
Representation in relevant Social Enterprise Platforms/Networks, Partnership Development
- Coordinate and liaise with other NGOs, consultant and partners to bring greater synergy and effectiveness in implementation of other interventions (eg. resource management activities, product development, marketing, etc.)
- Represent WWF in relevant policy platforms in accordance with the communication and visibility guideline
- Maintain good relationship with all stakeholders, with authorities in particular
- Promote the image of the organization at various platforms or networks
- Convenes regular and special/thematic meetings among WWF partners as a key mechanism for advocacy, information and knowledge-sharing and learning on conservation based livelihood and enterprise development projects.
Fundraising, Partnership Development, Donor Relation
- Provide information needed for fund raising or program development
- Support donor/partners visits to the program sites
Researches and Development Initiatives
- Regularly monitor the status of enteprisie and livelihood development in the project sites and in the landscape in general
- Monitor market trend of the related products such as bamboo, NTFPs timber, etc.
Monitoring and Evaluation, Reporting
- Monitor the progresses against the expected results/ logframe
- Compiles enterprise impact monitoring baselines based on available data
- Assists in standardizing enterprise impact monitoring tools for application and reporting purposes.
- Conduct annual impact monitoring of community based enterprises together with key NGO partners; and
- Assists in project reporting, including donor reporting and preparation of annual impact monitoring reports
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organizational needs.