Under the supervision of the Forest Project Manager, the Forest Officer shall contribute to the WWF conservation strategy by coordinating the planning and implementation of forest-based initiatives in the DTL. This includes: land use planning, high conservation area mapping, best practices in sustainable forest management, reforestation and habitat restoration, and community forest management (timber and NTFPs). He/she is responsible for all aspects of this work including the planning, management, financial, and administrative aspects of the forestry programme and engaging national counterparts in Union Forest Department (FD) and the Karen Forest Department (KFD).
The Forest Officer will primarily support the implementation of projects funded by Bevan Jones though WWF Australia, Aage V. Jensen Charity Foundation through WWF Denmark and secondarily on forest-related programmes/projects.
- Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inputs on annual work plan and budget planning for the WWF DTL Programme
- Implement the WWF forest programme in partnership with forest departments and community–based organizations (CBOs) and in coordination with other Civil Society Organizations (CSOs,) involved in the same sites.
- Strengthen institutional capacity in the fields of forest conservation, sustainable forest management and community forest management.
- Coordinate with other NGOs to share lessons learned and standardize methodologies and terminologies.
- Represent WWF within the region/landscape on forest related issues as well as keep updated on latest policy and feed senior WWF Programme management.
- Communicate effectively and maintains relationships with government departments, NGOs, companies, consultants, and community leaders.
- Produce and assists with the production of forest related communication materials including articles, brochures website updates and community awareness materials and training materials
- Coordinate implementation of field based activities and initiatives.
- Supervise consultants engaged in the implementation of WWF programme.
- Organize workshops, meetings, and related events
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organizational needs.